Thursday, January 21, 2010

I bet seven dollars you don't know who Elvita Adams is. I didn't until I landed on the wiki page for Empire State Building. But I guarantee this will blow your mind.

On the 2nd of December, 1979, Adams took part in the most mind-boggling, physics-challenging, "Nooo....... really?!?" moment in New York City history. Her life had taken a bad turn, and she decided the world would be best without her. Elvita climbed onto the ledge on the 86th Floor of the Empire State Building and jumped.

At this point in the story, I'm assuming you feel awful. But bear with me here, because this is about to get wonky.

Get this.

Literally the millisecond after she leaves the ledge, a strong gust of wind blows her onto the ledge of the 85th Floor. She jumped anticipating a good minute of falling before hitting the ground a thousand feet later, and ended up moving a net distance of about sixteen feet. Soon enough, the people on the 85th floor were able to pull her back in, and she was taken to the hospital to be treated for her injuries (mostly minor).

I'm pitcuring hurricane-like winds and a woman dressed in a spandex flight suit... and I still can't see how that is possible. I'm assuming she stepped right off of the very edge, but even if she did, the ledges themselves are about two feet wide, so it's still seemingly impossible to land safely on them.

Elvita Adams - My "write-in" vote in the NY gubernatorial race this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment