Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Disintergration Loops


Here's an album you've never heard of before: William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops. It has two tracks on it, one of which goes on for 63 minutes. You may be thrown off if I tell you that in addition to clocking in at over an hour long, the track is basically a continuous loop. I have not brought myself to listen to the entire track (entitled D|P 1.1), but have done a sort of "listen for five minutes, skip five minutes" thing and gotten the same effect.

Read this article, and go and download even just the first track (the 63 minute one). The context adds incredible substance to an already majestic piece of music. If you just go ahead and listen to the album, I promise it won't be as rewarding. Entire essays can be written on The Disintegration Loops, and if I had wanted to, I could post my own right here. But the Pitchfork review does a fantastic job. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment